12 June 2013

Pressfolio: A MUST for Online Writers


You know you're growing up when discovering new career websites can be the highlight of your day. A few weeks ago, I received an invite for Pressfolios from a blogger friend but I hadn't tried it out. Yesterday, I read an article from USA Today College about the site so I figured I'd give it a shot. Now I love it. Pressfolios is that "thing" you needed that you didn't realize you needed as a journalist, writer or communications worker.

It's a user-friendly professional website without the code and confusion. You can customize the aesthetics of the page, offer your contact information, a biography and professional statement. After entering the URL's of the press releases and blog posts that I've written over the last few years, I went through and edited the photos and dates of publication. You can sort them by type or date or topic. It's really impressive.

I've been stressed out about finding a job (duh) because I feel like a resume and cover letter fail to fully convey the person writing the words (me). But Pressfolios is taking a step in the right direction. Now, I have a saved archive of all my online writing that I can show to employers without the scrambling and fear of the dreaded "This page cannot be displayed" screen when asked for a strong writing sample. You can create your own URL so the page is easy to find and high on SEO results, too.

So, for all the the writers out there, I highly recommend setting aside an hour or so and make a Pressfolio account. Get it all out there, sit back, and be proud of all you have to show for yourself.

Take a look at mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment