06 February 2012

florence, italy

I see why so many people love Florence. It's probably one of the few major cities in Europe I had never visited before I came for the semester, and now I'm kicking myself that I hadn't been soon. So rich in art, culture and beauty. Every street was beautiful and the people were so friendly.


First thing, it was COLD. The city hadn't seen snow in that quantity in more than 10 years, but they didn't freak out like we would in Georgia. Business continued, cute kids in puffer jackets still played in the streets.


We arrived on Friday afternoon and went on a walking tour of the Piazza della Repubblica, Santa Maria del Fiore and the Galleria dell' Accademia, where Michaelangelo's David is displayed.

Piazza's get real windy when it's cold, and because I don't like cold, a little bit of the walk kinda got blacked out in my head. Santa Maria del Fiore is the beautiful cathedral that symbolizes Florence, with it's high dome towering over all the city. A lot of people walked to the top of the Dome for an incredible view. I didn't, and I'm sad I didn't so I need to go back soon.
Piazza della Repubblica

Santa Maria del Fiore

The Dome & Beautiful White, Green & Pink Marble from Tuscany



Oldest Working Medieval Clock in the World, starts at Sunset

Inside of the Dome
After this tour, we went to see the David, one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen. You can't take pictures inside, but he is flawless. I was speechless and so in awe of it's grandeur.

Then, Prapti and I went to the San Lorenzo Leather Market (thanks for the recommendation, Rachel!!) and I bought a beautiful olive/ brown leather jacket. Then we went back to the hotel and met up with some people to go to Paoli's. It's one of the nicest restaurants in town, and I had the most amazing steak. Rodney and I split a kilo of steak, I know, it was a lot but it was DELICIOUS. Florence is known for steak, so I had to do it. Then, we went back to the hotel and went out to a club for a bit...
On Saturday, we (hotel roommates Katie, Bunny, Prapti & I) went downstairs to a free breakfast. Great bread & cheese, yummy yogurt, not so great coffee. Then we began another tour with our group to the Uffizi Galleries, saw a bunch of beautiful, old masterpieces then headed home to take a long winters nap. This would have been the time to climb the Duomo, but next time. For dinner, Rodney, Katie, Bunny, Prapti and I went to a great authentic Tuscan restaurant called Anita. We went to a bar with a bunch of Americans and I got bored so we went home.

Next morning, we woke up at 8 AM to head to Siena. More on that later. I'm tired and I have homework to do for tomorrow.

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Clare, great tour of Florence. I especially liked the last picture best. I can't wait to hear about Siena. We loved it!

    ReplyDelete