17 September 2013

Lucy's a GYPSY... and I think I am, too.

"Write what you know."

That's what anyone will tell you. Unfortunately, I'm feeling like I know nothing at the moment and it's a pretty uncomfortable feeling. My blog previously featured the Harun Yahya quote: “I always wonder why birds choose to stay in the same place when they can fly anywhere on the earth, then I ask myself the same question.” Then I took it off. I'm not wandering, so it made me sad. Good thing blog format is easy to change. 

I thought this post-graduate life would be more fun. It's not and I was having a hard time putting it into words on the page. I feel like I should be happy. Great family, friends, boyfriend, stream of income... Then I check facebook, and twitter, then I pin, look at blogs, check twitter again and gasp because I haven't been on instagram in a while. I spend about four hours a day on social media. That's just an estimation. It may be a little high, but not too high. That's embarrassing. What it also does is bring to my attention about 1,000 other people who are choosing to highlight their best moment, photo, thought, or joke for the world. But what I've been finding, is that it's making me feel like crap. Then today in the carpool line while I'm waiting on the Mercedes SUV in front of me with those ridiculous stick figures cutouts of the mom, dad, son daughter and dog to move forward, I find this article about Lucy. Sadly, she reminds me a lot of myself and almost all my peers. That's the point.



I usually cringe at the word yuppy, but this article hit so many nails on the head. I can't even hate. The bottom line, the article states, is that GYPSYs (Gen Y Protagonists & Special Yuppies) Are Wildly Ambitious... Delusional... and Taunted. So don't feel sorry for us, but feel sorry for us a little bit. We like compassion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment