31 May 2010

kwaheri

I want to say thank you to all the people that have been reading my blog over the last few weeks. It's been strange not being able to experience this trip with the people I love the most, but by writing I feel like I'm not alone!

I love this country. The 'hakuna matata', 'poa' attitude are a wonderful change from the fast life of America. I've been trying to think about what I've learned, trying to sum it all up but I can't. I asked my friend Hunter who has been to Africa before what it feels like when you come home, like, does it feel like a dream? or does it feel as real as it does right now? He said it only feels real when you allow it to change your life for the better. So thats my plan. Try to incorporate a bit more 'hakuna matata' into my vocabulary and my heart.

We said goodbye to the6 or 7 people that are climbing Mt. Kili this morning. Big hugs, no tears. I mean.. we all go to the same school. I'll see them in the fall. The remaining 3 of us got dropped off in downtown Moshi, bought some last minute gifts (Let's just say I've contributed nicely to the Tanzanian economy...) then walked 30 minutes from downtown to the hotel. Some kids ran up to us along the way saying 'Mzungu! Give me chocolate! Give me money!' I gave them tic tacs. A few weeks ago I would have been scared to walk on the road without a guide, but we did it, without hassle or (a large amount) of fear. It's progress.

It's 2:30 right now, we're leaving Springlands at 6:30. Then we have a 1 hour stopover in Dar Es Salaam, then to Amsterdam.

I have to write a 6 page reflective paper for my African Studies class and 30-35 pages for my Intro to Anthropology class by mid July. Did you forget that this was a STUDY abroad? I feel like I have a lot to write about, but page 28 will probably kick my butt.

When you see me around, remind me to keep that hakuna matata attitude please. I'll smile and think about the last few weeks and remember it's a reality, not a dream.

Kwaheri rafiki!

1 comment:

  1. We are waiting on you in AMS and will see you in the morning at the airport. Love you and see you soon, Mom, Dad, and Natalie

    ReplyDelete